> Why not use LE heap storage? Do a call to CEECRHP to create a
> heap, then call CEEGTST to allocate an element in the heap.
> Save the address of the element in one of the two LE-provided
> user fields (call CEE3USR). This heap storage is accessible
> by all programs in the run unit, and persists across subroutine calls.

I know about CEE3USR but never really understood how one could safely
use that field. After all, if I can come up with the idea to store my
anchor in that field somebody else might do it too. And then one of us
is in trouble. Probably both of us...

Is there a 'best practice' for the use of this field...? It would be a
convenient place to anchor an application-owned tree of control blocks
if it wasn't for the risks described above...

> <ad>
> </ad>

I was waiting for that.... 8-)

We are well aware of LE services: we use them a lot in COBOL and
Assembler programs. We would be interested in other classes but are
stationed in the Netherlands and could never fill a classroom. A
collegue of mine wants to follow some Assembler courses but IBM in the
Netherlands keeps cancelling them because there just isn't enough
interest in these courses... So if you ever do any in this part of the
world: I've got one or two customers for you...
ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.