Jeez John, I'd rather do the proof of concept on the current setup, WLM prior
to plex, than go to a setup, plex, that could cause additional degradation and
then maybe have to go back but I guess that's all water under the bridge at
this point.

  I know I'm preaching to the choir but don't *they* realize there is the very
real possibility that you'll use more CPU managing a plex environment with
weighting than a single image? And so now you could face the possibility that
some of the production work may not get done or will be delayed during heavy
month end processing due to the plex setup and the guarantee to the
test/development image.

  I have been down the month end road, super peaks with maybe 30 in ready and
basically none of my bottom feeders, test/dev., getting any CPU, well 85 - 95%
CPU delay, but the production batch work chugged along and finished and my
onlines didn't notice any significant delays. This was on a small 2 way machine
as I believe you are on also.

  Good luck.......

"McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

> So what are you doing today to share tape between your two monoplex
> systems?

We only have a single monoplex today. We are splitting it in twain for
political reasons. I.e. the current image will run only production work,
the new image will run all development/test/q&a (nonproduction) work. It
will be a basic sysplex because nobody would pony up the $173,000 USD to
get a CFL for our z9BC.

If interested, the reasoning goes that since we cannot get all of our
work done during month-end because production soaks the CPU totally, the
non-production work is be unjustly penalized. This will be "fixed" by
putting the non-production work in its only LPAR on the same CEC and
"weighting the LPARs appropriately". Nobody would believe me when I said
that I could do this using WLM on a single image. They wouldn't even
allow a "proof of concept" to see how a WLM solution might work. Yes,
I'm disgusted.

> I've always liked MIA and have used it at different shops
> since the early
> 90s. It is simple to set up if you already have MII, but
> there really is
> no reason to do so since z/OS 1.2 if you are running a sysplex.
>
> One nice thing you can do with MIA that looks like it will be
> in z/OS 1.10
> is the ability to vary devices as "overgenned". This takes
> them out of the EDL.
> There are also the display that tells you where a drive is
> allocated, but with
> only 2 systems it's sort of obvious.

The "overgenned" is nice. I've used it in the past. But that alone does
not seem worth the effort to implement MIA.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer