On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Paul Peplinski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am looking at converting to IBM Debug Tool V8.1 (Ent Cobol 3.4, soon to be
>  4.1). My first impression is that Debug Tool puts debug control into the
>  load module (or points to it in the case of an external symbol dictionary).
>  That seems incompatible with our development strategy where a program is
>  compiled once and then promoted through the hierarchy. My concern is
>  promoting bloated and unoptimized modules into production or needing to
>  share symbol files across environments (i.e. test and QA) especially when
>  those programs might have different working storage.
>
>  Does this product dictate compiling at each stage with a final NOTEST
>  compile going into production?
>
>  Paul P

We're at version 5.1 of DT, and our local standard is to limit DT to
the programmers' unit test environment. When a programmer requests a
TEST compile, the linkage editor step inserts an IDENTIFY card that
marks the load module as having been compiled with TEST on.

Our in house promotion process will not promote a load module that has
this IDENTIFY card in it.  This forces a NOTEST recompile at the
system test level, and beyond that no more recompiles are needed.

I understand that more recent versions of Debug Tool can be set up to
produce a relatively lean load module without compromising debugging
functionality.   But we are not there yet so I have no experience to
offer.