Hi all,

Thanks for the responses and pointer to Kathy's White Paper. It is true
that we have INITSQA coded, and that was for IPL failures which we
thought were related to additions/changes to the storage configuration.
However it did seem that INITSQA did not actually help much - just the
action of a second IPL was enough to avoid the shortage then, and anyway
that is due to requirements before the IEASYS parameter is handled by
the system. I say that because we have had failures even with INITSQA
coded, and reIPLing without changes appears to resolve things. These
were new systems - we haven't actually had the failures that recently,
so I hope my memory isn't tricking me.

As far as I understand from the White Paper, as long as you can
comfortably support an IPL, there is no real reason to worry about ESQA
filling and overflowing during the life of the system. She does mention
that some installations do follow a policy of minimal allocation (though
she doesn't recommend this).

I think my likely conclusion is to check our systems needs after they
are fully IPLed, and aim to cover that comfortably, but not to tune for
the Healthchecker 80% recommendation. Ideally we would not have any
spare ESQA  by the next IPL, allowing us to manage ECSA and ESQA as a
combined pool.

Best regards,
David Tidy                                      Tel:(31)115-67-1745
IS Technical Management/SAP-Mf          Fax:(31)115-67-1762
Dow Benelux B.V.                                Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]