I once had a problem FTPing a large dump to IBM. It kept timing out, and
since I could not list the IBM side, thought it failed and sent it to a new
name,
which also timed out. I let IBM know and both files were the same size and
complete, so that connection seemed to just be there to let me know at the
end whether it worked or not. I want to believe it does more than that. Too
long ago to remember if this was a mainframe to IBM ftp or a windows to IBM
ftp.

I then started using a larger TIMEOUT value in my batch JCL. Not sure what
the upper limit is. And these days do lpar to lpar FTP without it. Usually
completing in uder 5 minutes.

// EXEC PGM=FTP,REGION=2048K,
//     PARM='ftp.site.name.or.ip.address -v (EXIT TIMEOUT 1200'