-------------------<snip>---------------------
There's nothing wrong with stripes over stripes. I've referred to this as braiding in the past.

With a good pre-fetch algorithm the storage uses the parallelism of the striped arrays to feed the cache in large block requests from many disks, and in turn the RAID-0 dataset can feed the sequential read process by pre-fetching from many concurrent volumes and paths.

Braiding is a good thing. It is heavily used in UNIX land, Not so common on Windows, and unfortunately (for some unknown reason) strangely rare in MVS.
At the risk of sounding obtuse, I have to ask the question: why is striping even an issue today?

Given the architecture of modern "DASD-like" storage systems and the advent of Dynamic PAV, the hardware and operating system facilities SEEM to address all of the performance considerations that might seem to mitigate in favor of striping.