From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:42 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Sequential Data Striping

There is one left. Even if the data is physically striped on the DASD,
when you read an unstriped, in z/OS's view, disk dataset, you do a
single I/O operation. If you use z/OS striping, you do multiple I/Os
(one to each stripe), which hopefully means that you wait less for the
I/O operation. The same on a write. I.e. the amount of data concurrently
transferred is greater. Of course, if you have my luck, each stripe
(z/OS DASD volume) will end up being on the same physical back end DASD
and nothing will be prefetched in cache either. "If it weren't for bad
luck, I'd have no luck at all."

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer