Additional info,
I found out where the default allocation is coming from (CDS base
configuration).  Apparently, when they setup the SMS default configuration,
they setup the default unit to be 3390 and the default bytes per track to be
56665 :

Default Management Class :           Default Device Geometry :
Default Unit . . . . . . : 3390        Bytes/track . . . . . : 56665
                                        Tracks/cylinder . . . : 15

The bytes per track is the same for a 3390 mod 3 and 9 (56,664) but is the
allocation tripled when a mod 9 is used?