On 16 Apr 2008 10:28:21 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main (Message-ID:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilbert Cardenas) wrote:

Hello everyone, I have an unknown that I have not been able to figure out or at least I don't know where to look. I have a user who is trying to define a vsam file using IDCAMS as follows:

DEFINE CLUSTER -
  ( NAME(BLAH.BLAH.BLAH) -
       LINEAR     -
       REUSE -
       CYL(30) -
       SHAREOPTIONS(3 3) ) -
  DATA -
  ( NAME(BLAH.BLAH.BLAH.DATA) -
                     ) -
 CATALOG(BLAH)

The problem is, when I look at the dataset (which is SMS managed) it usually ends up being around 3 times larger than what the user requested.
 <snip>
Looking at the Access Method Services documentation, it states that you should not use the TRACKS or CYLINDERS parameters. If you use them for an SMS-managed data set, space is allocated on the volumes selected by SMS in units equivalent to the device default
geometry.

You don't mention the CI size. This is pure guesswork, but it could work like this:

CYL(30) is converted to about 25,500,000 bytes. If CI size is 512, you get only 25,088 bytes per track, so that number of bytes requires about 1017 tracks or 68 cylinders. That's not a factor of 3, but it is more than a factor of two.

--
I cannot receive mail at the address this was sent from.
To reply directly, send to ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com