I have a situation where some channel programs I'm executing seem to get getting "purged", and the ECBs are not being posted resulting in my program hanging when I wait on them.

I've diagnosed that the problem is "purging" because I look at the IOBECBCC field before I wait on the program and see that it contains the value hex 48, and the documentation for that completion code says that the program has been purged.

So my question is, what does this mean, and how do I recover? I've tried just reexecuting the channel program and that does have some success, however I suspect that that's not the whole story.

It's suprising to me that I've got a value in the IOBECBCC field but that the ECB hasn't been posted. It means that the program logic:

  1. build your channel program
  2. execute using EXCP
  3. some time later wait on the ECB to see it's complete
  4. check the completion code and sense bytes for error.

which is basically what the documentation says to do isn't sufficient. You need an unspecified step 2a, "check for some unknown conditions and perform some unspecified recovery".

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Tom Quarendon.