John Mattson wrote:
Well, it had to happen eventually. My shop will lay MVS to rest, but it will probably take a few years. Our parent company is all SAP, and the pressure has been on us to conform. So, I thought "Hey, all those articles in z/Journal about Linux and IFL's and zVM !!! Just get the sales guys from big Blue in there, and show how the old dino can keep up with the kids". 'Taint so folks. IBM and the business partners looked at the sizing documents and would not even submit a bid. Said they were not able to compete for the price against open systems. So, we end up going with AIX servers, and run Oracle DB's and SAP. I have not been able to get a clear answer from IBM on this, but it appers from what I can find out to be a matter of size. Currently we are a 300 mip z890, and although we would have to grow to go with the SAP solution, the mainframe/IFL/VM/DB2 solution just cannot compete for the price at this end of the size range. So just where the cut-off is, I am not sure. But I can tell you that it is somewhere above 300 mips. Looks like z/OS 1.8 may be the last MVS level I even install. Hard decision. About 10 years until retirement. Become a DBA, or polish up the resume? Decisions, decisions. Well, "What a long, strange trip it's been."

How many AIX servers and what size?