Walt Farrell said:

>A DOC APAR would help in the interim, imho, but the OP doesn't seem to
>agree.

I absolutely disagree. There's no "seem" to it.

How often do you research DOC APARS for your manuals?

Here's an example: Suppose you can't remember which register holds the
remainder on a divide instruction. You'd look it up, right? Would you also
check
for any applicable DOC APARS? Sounds ridiculous. You assume the
documentation is probably correct.

My latest example is this: You have a licensed product on only one system in
a MAS. The product runs as a subsystem. JCL references the subsystem using
the SUBSYS parameter. You want to know if this could be an issue at JCL
conversion time if the JCL were converted on one of the systems without the
licensed product. The documentation says the subsystem only has to be
defined to pass conversion. You define it. You submit the JCL. It fails during
conversion, saying the subsystem is not available. A SCHENV parameter would
have forced the job to run on the right system had it been converted
successfully. What's the problem? Affinity would circumvent the problem, but
the documentation says it was not required. The Support Center says the doc
is incorrect, and the code is working as designed. Should I have looked for a
DOC APAR before this occurred? Why? Do I have to assume every document is
probably incorrect and peruse all the DOC APARS before opening the
document?

Ok - Ranted enough.

The publications folks at IBM want to have a conference call next week.
Hopefully not just so they can explain how prohibitively expensive it would be
to provide accurate documentation. After all, receiving a few extra customer
calls for misleading documentation has to be cheaper, doesn't it?

Sarcasm aside, I'd be interested is any other constructive input before I
present my case. IMHO electronic revisions could be maintained on an IBM
site, and downloaded by customers as often as the customer felt was useful.
Or, just use the IBM copy and don't keep your own.