On Mon, 5 May 2008 12:06:22 -0700, Schwarz, Barry A wrote:

>I really have to question whether reading or writing a file is that much
>easier than dealing with a dataset.  In fact, one of the selling points
>used to be that DD names made your program device independent.  A

At one time, that was pretty much true.  I'd conclude it was
part of the original design philosophy of OS/360.  Well, you
couldn't have a PDS on a card reader.  But such restrictions
were rationally motivated.

>sequential file could be stand-alone or a member of a PDS. It could be
>on cards, tape, disk, drum, cell, display terminal/keyboard, and now
>file system.

Nowadays, there are numerous unnecessary restrictions in both
directions.  Consider AMATERSE.  AMATERSE won't accept a
DD name referring to a UNIX file as its archive data set,
notwithstanding that many customers promptly copy the Terse
archive to a UNIX file (or Windows file) for transmission
to tech support.

And, why does ISPF require me to copy a UNIX file to a Legacy
(sic!) data set in order to LMDEF that for input to LMCOPY?

And I can cheat a UNIX directory as a member of my SYSEXEC
concatenation, but not if it's the first catenand.  "Using
Data Sets" documents it; Rexx support says it's not supported.

Where did we lose device independence?  I understand that
resource constraints may preclude DFSMS providing device
drivers for all functions for all "device" types.  I'm far
less sympathetic to higher layers that don't perform
conventional I/O (at least as a fallback) to devices that
DFSMS supports.

>Why would compressing a file be that much different than compressing a
>dataset?

Out-of-band record boundaries.  AMATERSE knows how to deal
with them; pax.Z doesn't.

-- gil