----------------<snip>---------------------
I still despise VSAM at times. Like right now due to not being able to "share" an open VSAM file across z/OS images. Granted, this is a documented restriction. But our programmers don't really care, they just want VSAM to work the way that __they__ want it to work, not the way it was designed.
Do they *want* their SUV's to fly as well? We all have to live with some limitations, however unreasonable we might feel those limitations. I can think of a few people that seriously need killing, but I can't do it. We learn to adapt; so can those programmers.

Slap them up-side the head and teach them about VSAM buffers in storage, index updating, etc. Then maybe, just maybe, they'll understand why they can't always get what they want. :-) (Also, remind them how bad ISAM was; that ought to get their attention.)