wrote:_ (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:)
>>IIRC, VSAM and the "VSAM-like" access methods use STARTIO  directly.

In a message dated 6/11/2008 5:36:57 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Directly? I thought that the move had been to use the Media  Manager.

I don't know what "VSAM-like" access methods are.  For the last 15  years or
so (or more) IBM has used the Media Manager to do DASD I/O in its new,
strategic software products (e.g., DB2).  VSAM has been an official access
method
since the introduction of paging operating systems in the  mid-1970s.  The
Media Manager uses STARTIO to do its I/O.

Bill  Fairchild
Rocket Software