Rick Fochtman wrote:
> --------------------------------<snip>------------------------
>
>> I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but all the posts notwithstanding,
>> the problem here isn't failure, but the fear that it might actually
>> succeed.
>>
>> If the project is as doomed to failure as many have been saying, then
>> so what!  Let it fail.  It might be a difficult time and a humbling
>> experience for some, but in the end the original system will be
>> vindicated.  However, I suspect that the real concern is that it
>> might actually work.  Maybe not as well ... maybe without all the
>> bells and whistles, but in the end if it does tha job, then
>> management will have been vindicated in the decision.
>>
>> Doom and gloom is not a way to convince management of the proper
>> course.  If the project can succeed, then you'd better get on board
>> now, because the train is leaving the station.  If the project is
>> doomed to fail, then that will also be apparent soon enough.
>
> -----------------------------<unsnip>-----------------------------
> It might succeed, if management throws enough manpower and servers
> into it. But at what expense? Who's going to coordinate the
> implementation? Who's going to determine and map out all the
> interactions between datasets and processes? How will data be moved
> from one process to the next, perhaps on a different server? How many
> "administrators" will be required to maintain that whole enterprise
> (polite word for mess?) Are programs to be translated from COBOL to
> another language? Who's going to train staff? At what expense?
>
> I believe that these are all valid questions that need to be answered
> before any prognosis of success or failure can be made.
>
> In my admittedly limited experience, that server farm is going to take
> a significant increase in manpower just to maintain the status quo;
> finding and/or making a developer staff is also going to be a major
> headache. You might find people that know the languages, but they
> still need to learn about the business. And as others have already
> noted, security and legal issues will further muddy the waters.

You are assuming a "ready, aim, fire" mode of management whereas I am
more used to "fire, aim, ready" :-)

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;