----- Original Message ----- From: "Burrell, C. Todd , CDC/OCOO/ITSO, CTR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: CA Jobtrac 3.5 Off Support

I had heard about the requirement to go to R11, so I ordered it about
8-9 months ago and tried to install it.  It was a TOTAL piece of junk
(numerous abends and MANY PTF's needing to be installed).  CA finally
told me to install the latest PTF tape, and that would fix all of the
problems.  But the PTF tape in question wasn't ready, and would not be
ready for another 3-4 weeks.

After this horrible experience, I decided to just stay on R3.5 for the
short term.  From what I could tell R11 was not yet GA even though CA
said it was.  I plan on waiting awhile to do the upgrade.  From what I
could tell, the CA-Datacom DB portion was very problematic, and the way
Jobtrac works seemed to be very different.  I'd rather run 3.5
unsupported than to try and install PTF's every day to fix problems in
production.

C. Todd Burrell
Lead z/OS Systems Programmer
ITSO
(404) 723-2017 (Cell)

As one of the original beta testers of JOBTRAC, it pains me to hear that CA modified the best job scheduler ever with DATACOM. First they wrecked CA-11 with DATACOM, now JOBTRAC. JOBTRAC's CKPT dataset was lean and mean. It was a kick butt scheduler with the smallest footprint and lowest overhead of any of them. All the bells and whistles of CA-7 in about 1/100th the footprint. I can't imagine why CA felt they needed DATACOM in JOBTRAC. It doesn't surprise me that "the way Jobtrac works seemed to be very different". If you rip out the CKPT, you change the essential character of JOBTRAC.

Back in the day, we worked hand in hand with Goal Systems. Many problems were fixed in less than a day. Then Legent came along, then CA after that. Just not the same as Goal Systems. At least SYSVIEW is still good (also beta tested that one). RIP JOBTRAC, we hardly knew ye.

Regards,
Tom Conley