>The fastest I/O is the I/O you don't do.

I agree completely. BUT: Eliminating sys1.stgindex does NOT mean that you
cannot use VIO anymore. The SYS1.STGINDEX is used for checkpoint-restart of a
VIO dataset. How many installations do checkpoint-restart for VIO? (We
certainly don't. I eliminated the stgindex when I started working here, and
nobody has ever missed it. And yes, we still use VIO.)

Regards, Barbara Nitz