From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Pinnacle
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 7:59 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM using more below the line storage.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Mattson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 5:49 PM
Subject: IBM using more below the line storage.

>        IBM appears to be expanding use of storage below the 16M line,
> rather than converting their own code to 31-bit addressability. Here is
> the reply I received when I ETR asked CICS why I could no longer get a
> certain DSALIM value in TS22 after going to zos 1.08.
>        "There is Common Storage shared by all address spaces, and not
> considered
> part of the private storage available for address space (task) use.
> In OS/390 2.10 the amount of Common Storage needed by the system was
> smaller than is required by z/os 1.8, which has much more function.
> When Common Storage increases, the amount of private storage decreases.
> My guess, based on my years of experience is that in your 2.10 system
> the amount of private storage available was 10M or possibly 11M. It
> must be on a meg boundry. In z/os 1.8 the amount of storage available
> for CICS , or any other address space has shrunk to 9M based on the
> increase in Common Storage."

For all those giving John grief about this, please reread the above. IBM
LEVEL 2 is the one telling him that z/OS V1R8 uses more Common Storage!!  He

didn't make it up on his own.  Instead of yelling at John, yell at the IBM
Level 2 guy who wrote this response.  Other posters have correctly stated to

look at things like LPA, etc.  But going by what the ETR says, John is
correct to be piqued about the fact that this Level 2 dude thinks it's OK
that z/OS V1R8 uses more Common below the line than OS/390 V2R10.  I agree
with John, that answer is UNACCEPTABLE.

There, I feel better.

Regards,
Tom Conley