Barbara, here's my point...

You can think of XCF as a queuing mechanism between members on
(potentially) different systems in the plex...

The mechanism has various queuing areas (whether it be "buffer pools" in
memory owned by XCF or coupling facility list structures).

Conventional wisdom has it that one configures the buffer pools large
enough and one doesn't worry too much about the size of the coupling
facility structures - in that you use CFSizer to size them and don't
bother tuning from there.

I'm wondering whether one wouldn't be better off making the structures
bigger and (perhaps) the buffer pools in the z/OS systems smaller.

In other words, what are the trade offs for biasing towards space in the
CF list structures vs biasing towards space in XCF buffers in z/OS?

I'm not sure that makes it any clearer. :-)

Martin

Martin Packer
Performance Consultant
IBM United Kingdom Ltd