> Unfortunately, I think this is down to the individuals concerned
> that want everyone to know that they are out of the Office.

Sometimes the employer demands it!
I activate the auto-reply when I'm out for a week or longer.
But I, almost always, also set IBM-MAIN and IBMTCP-L to NOMAIL.

Last time I first activated the out-of-office and then the NOMAIL.
My apologies for any unwanted mails.

OT : Just delete the out-of-office replies...
There are only a few among the many messages here...

--
Maarten

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.