In a message dated 8/6/2008 10:27:11 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>I need to create and populate a NON-VSAM Dataset that contains  KEYS.

Thinking about your query some more made me realize you didn't give us
enough technical specifications to help you very much.  E.g., what do you  mean
by
"populate"?  What do you mean by "contains" keys?  Namely,  will the data set
be blocked or unblocked?  If unblocked, you might even be  able to use
IEBGENER and specify the key location and offset through JCL.   If blocked,
then what
does the block's key represent - the lowest key of any  record in the block,
the highest key of any record in the block, or something  else?

Must all the keys written onto the tracks be in ascending key sequence,
descending, or is random OK?  What will happen if there are two blocks
somewhere
in the data set with the same key?

How will this data set be accessed after its creation?  With what  software
and/or access method?  What will said accessing programs do if a  key is not
found?  What happens if a block is found with no key on the  track?  How long
will this data set exist?  How do you plan to back it  up and restore it if
necessary?  Will it be automatically managed by some  kind of archival system?

I don't expect answers to all of these, but you definitely need to think
about these issues.

Bill  Fairchild
Rocket Software

Read reviews on AOL Autos.