On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 21:20:13 -0500, Kenneth E Tomiak wrote:

>All you need to do is know how to present what you find. I reported
>GIMASAMP returns incorrect output as a SEV(4). Don't make a big deal out of
>a sample not working and IBM will listen. Level 2 tested the code with and
>without my corrections and understood it really is broken and I was not
>looking to sneak in an enhancement. They contacted the developers who
>were more than willing to listen and I was asked did I want an APAR or could it
>be fixed in the next release. It has likely been broken since the day it was
>released so I was reasonable and closed the ETR with the understanding it will
>be fixed in the next release. Since DB2 9 is current, it might be a few years
>before the sample is fixed. But then it was broken for so long, I can wait. I
>would think no one else brought it IBM's attention so how urgent is it, really!

SMP/E is good that way.  I once reported a problem SEV4.  They supplied
a PTF within 3 weeks.  It was a message inconsistency, and I had expected
them to modify the message, which I would have found satisfactory.  In
fact, they changed the code to recover from a plausible user error.

>I also submit requests to fix documentation and get responses. Submitting
>requests following the proper procedure does work. Low priority changes might
>take a few months, but IBM does listen and act. They just have to prioritize
>what they can get done with the resources they have. And I always consider
>if it has been broken for years then it can get fixed in the next release.

My experience also with SMP/E.

In contrast to JCL and TSO, which will call just about anything WAD and
change the documentation.

-- gil