>I'd flesh out John's "which logmode?" with a "What APPNCOS is
>specified in the logmode entry?".  And what APPN COSTAB are you
>using?

None. My predecessor (oh, yes, I told you to forget I inherited this mess)
never coded APPNCOS. I also find no MAPSTO statements, and APPNCOS is
not coded in the VTAM start parameters.

However, since COS=INTERACT is coded in the ALTMOD45 logmode entry, that
name should also used for the APPNCOS. Since APPNCOS is not coded on the
start parameters, I have no idea what occurs if INTERACT not also defined as
an APPNCOS.

Now, in reading about APPNCOS, I see that (please forgive my crude
interpretation) the connection I am trying to make may have both APPN and
subarea COS components, crossing from sscp to sscp to ee to sscp to appl
utilizing ens, bns, nns, tgns, vrs, ers, and more. Well, that's certainly
straightforward! I wonder why I didn't see that in the first place.

Still, why can't VTAM find the application when all I change is the logmode
and logmode-specified COS? If the COS or logmode is invalid or incompatible,
or whatever else could be wrong, I'd expect to see an appropriate message.

Being ignorant of APPNCOS, my initial title was appropriate. I found TGN=21
when I displayed the inter-system connections, but found TGN=21 nowhere in
my startup parameters nor documented in a standard IBM manual as a default.
TGN=21 is not coded in any routes, so I didn't see how the connection ever
worked. I think Chris was right when he indicated that the person who set up
the network originally just happened to get it to work eventually.