No, I don't agree.  Unfortunately it comes down to parsing report output which
is a poor programming interface.

But I would hazard to guess that parsing IDCAMS output is the most
used "poor programming" interface on this platform.  I see it all the time
in old code and new code (even though the CSI has been available and
documented for some time).  As a matter of fact, because of this there
was a fairly recent APAR to change the listing of LISTCAT LEVEL back to a
pre z/OS 1.8 format by using the "IDCNOGFL" option (see APAR  OA22078).

I did check the CSI documentation and didn't find it.  It's possible there is
a bit set that could be checked (in VSAMTYPE?) and just isn't documented.

If I have time I'll put a q&d together later and compare some LDSes that
are ZFS and some that aren't.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden