Gabe,

I haven't answers to all questions, but I hope this helps:

- What's new since the z/Journal article ran and what did the article
miss?

For me, nothing changed.

- What's the good and bad news about today's mainframe education?

Good news: In the Netherlands education/training is still seen as
absolutely necessary to function properly and for the business
continuity.

Bad news: IBM waits until enough people are interested before they
schedule a course ( at least in The Netherlands and Belgium ) Not all
people who are interested, make this known to IBM. Some just check if
the course is scheduled.
So sometimes people have to wait for years to get the course they need
because it seems like there are not enough people interested for the
provider to schedule the course.

E.g. I had to go to Germany to attain a systems programmer course
because apparently there was not enough interest in the
Netherlands/Belgium. There were 'three' scheduled dates in Germany!
E.g.2 Some of my colleagues and even some of another bank have waited
for years for IBM to schedule an Assembler course.
Finally we have arranged for one of the IBM-MAIN listers to provide the
course.

- Who's providing it? Who's best at it?

I've always had IBM courses, until recently.
We arranged for The Trainer's Friend to come to Amsterdam and provide us
with some badly needed training.

Who's best? All courses have been given by people with a longtime
mainframe-experience.
The teacher from 'The Trainer's Friend' ( Steve C ) was very funny, but
that's not really a requirement for providing students with the required
information. It helps though :)

- What works? Classroom instruction? Online training? Self-study
courses? Books? User groups?

Personally I prefer practical training. A laptop attached to a beamer is
nice, but still too theoretical.
E.g. During the Assembler course I got some S0Cx abends ( ok, a lot
S0C7's ). Finding the cause of the error yourself is a million times
better than someone creating an abend and then pointing it out on a
screen in front of the class.

- Do employers pay for it?

Yes

- Is it a necessity or a golden perk?

A necessity for the continuity of the business

- Is it safe in the budget or a first thing to get whacked?

The need for continuous education is recognized and safe in the budget

- How often do employees pay?

Never. I can't afford IBM's prices.

- Does it keep pace with mainframe evolution?

Some courses are based on older versions of z/OS, sometimes even OS/390

--
Maarten Slegtenhorst