"Top ROOT" is not a term I've run into before, although
I understand what Lizette is using it for.

Before OS/390 V1.9 (not to confuse with z/OS V1.9), it was
simply the "root file system". Then V1.9 introduced the
syslpex sharing of file system and with this two new terms
were coined:

- The "Sysplex Root", which simply is the first file system
  mounted by the kernel. It's the point you reach by "cd /".

  There is only one sysplex root and all systems participating
  in "sysplex sharing of file systems" have it mounted as the
  top level filesystem.

  The sysplex root has a coulpe of "mount points" and a couple
  of sysbolic links but is empty otherwise.

- The "Version Root" contains all the data (directories, files,
  etc.) that is delivered with each OS release. It is what has
  been called "root file system" before OS/390 V1.9.

  Some systems in the sysplex may share this file systems, some
  may have another "version" of it.

The planning guide explains this all, although it problably more
than one pass to get the idea.

--
Peter Hunkeler
CREDIT SUISSE