Anton Britz asked some questions --

Do you read the two current independent mainframe magazines z/Journal and Mainframe Executive? I've written dozens of articles for for them and their predecessors (4300 Quarterly, Mainframe Journal, Enterprise Systems Journal, etc.) for 20+ years. I wrote/edited an IBM technology magazine for several years, wrote for AARP's Computers and Technology Web site for several years, have had more than a hundred technology pieces published in the Washington Post, co-edited three fat and successful (700+ pages each) McGraw-Hill books (The Rexx Handbook, The VM/ESA Systems Handbook, The VM/ESA Users and Applications Handbook).

Before all that I worked at IBM designing/developing operating system software, then worked in a high-tech data center, then was VP of a small mainframe software company (VM Systems Group). I've been a freelance technology writer/editor/consultant since 1991. I'm a former SHARE project manager. I was designated a Knight of VM at SHARE 59 in 1982, at least somewhat for my work opposing introduction of OCO. This year is my 40th in the mainframe world, or a little more counting mainframe use in college.

I posted the query to IBM-MAIN and the VM and VSE equivalents, plus the HillGang (Washington, DC VM/Linux user group) list. My articles are indeed based on research and queries like this one -- that's how to make them fact based rather than the airline magazine articles I think you mean. Responses to these queries -- especially from this list -- are great; many people generously provide insights, anecdotes, experience, and opinions. That's why I start research here -- because it's the largest real-world mainframers community. I'm a professional freelance writer so I'm paid for my work.

Regarding my writing for CA: they approached me and suggested I write about mainframes and mainframers for them. Since I've worked with mainframes for a while and am a writer, I thought that a fine idea.While their long-term background motivation is likely sales (same as IBM or any for-profit corporation), these articles will support the mainframe community by providing useful/interesting/valuable/informative material.

Thanks for asking...

Steve,

You have been around to block, so lets try and ask more questions before we
get into a debate about 1944 or 1945 ex.

a) What is Mr. Goldberg trying to achieve ., Sales for CA or sensation/hysteria
b) What lists are you cross posting too
c) How much money are you getting for the information we will provide you
d) How long have you been in the Mainframe World and how long have you
tried to make a buck, writing "Airport" type articles
e) How many times have you tried to do surveys on public lists and do you
feel , this works for you
f) How many articles have you written, based on the feedback you get on
open lists and "open sources"

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 204-0433
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042        [EMAIL PROTECTED]