Clark Morris wrote:
[...]
While at a Year 2000 session, I raised the question of having the
programs able to read archived data.  One participant claimed that the
legal requirement was only to have the data and that there was no
requirement to be able to read it.

Interesting approach <g>. In fact it could be "legislative hole", because the intent is obvious: the data is kept to have possibility of reading it.

BTW: that's why regular backup usually cannot be archive copy - maybe few versions ahead tool won't be able to read it. If it will be able, then maybe the application won't be able to access old data format. And the old version of application cannot run on current system. And the old system cannot work on current hardware. Sometimes as "the least common denominator" (or simply most popular format) is TXT file. Example: OS/390 2.6, DB2 V4. I can read the tapes with backup (still have tape drives), likely (I'm not sure) my current DFHSM will read the backups, but - will DB2 v9 read imagecopies (or tablespace dump) from DB2 v4 ? Will DB2 v4 run on z/OS 1.10 ? Will OS/390 2.6 run on z10 ? And this is only approx. 10 years on the best platform in terms of compatibility.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.