That should work just fine. I do the same thing with DFDSS copy/rename.
BTW, in my sandbox, I have a permanent set of OMVS files that I apply
maint to (SMPE is updated to point to OMVS.SERVICE.*) the files are then
copied with rename back to the sysres volumes.

<snip>
I have a question about OMVS HFS files. I have the compatibility
maintenenance installed on my z/OS 1.7 system, in preparation for
installing z/OS 1.9. When I created my 3 ALTRES packs on 3390-3s, I
copied the OMVS files with FDRDSF. As an example, I copied OMVS.ROOT to
OMVS.SERVICE.ROOT, and applied all of the maintenance.
My question is, can I use IEHPROGM to rename the Service file back to
OMVS.ROOT? When I clip the pack to IPL, the catalog will point to the
correct dataset name. The current IPL volume is Z17RES, and my
maintenance volume is ZA7RES, so I will clip ZA7RES to Z17RES, and IPL
it in my test sysplex.
</snip>