On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:25:49 +0000, Eric Bielefeld <eric-ibmm...@wi.rr.com>
wrote:

>I have a question about OMVS HFS files. I have the compatibility
maintenenance installed on my z/OS 1.7 system, in preparation for installing
z/OS 1.9. When I created my 3 ALTRES packs on 3390-3s, I copied the OMVS
files with FDRDSF. As an example, I copied OMVS.ROOT to OMVS.SERVICE.ROOT,
and applied all of the maintenance.
>My question is, can I use IEHPROGM to rename the Service file back to
OMVS.ROOT? When I clip the pack to IPL, the catalog will point to the
correct dataset name. The current IPL volume is Z17RES, and my maintenance
volume is ZA7RES, so I will clip ZA7RES to Z17RES, and IPL it in my test
sysplex.
>If I can't do that, how should I do it?

That is not the way I do it, but it should work.  Or rename with any other
method (ISPF etc.).  As long as it is indirectly cataloged, it should be fine.

I've never done cloning that involved clipping volume names.   I've flipped
between an A/B set (in small shops, very little spare DASD) where I copy
 the "live" volumes like you did, apply maintenance, then IPL from the
new set.  But everything except the HFS files were indirectly cataloged
so no CLIPs were needed.  The HFS files had the (primary) sysres as
part of the name to facilitate mounting the maintenance root.
The other way (most common now) is to always apply to a maintenance
set of sysres volumes and clone those to the IPL-able set.

BTW, if you want to see samples of  cloning jobs, see the JOBs/Doc
section of my web site.  CLONERSO is the "A/B" set method and CLONERES
is similar to what I do today with cloning a maintenance set.  The examples
use FDR so that is good for you.   One difference from the sample on my
web site is that I converted all our HFS to zFS after we migrated to
z/OS 1.8.  You can't indirectly catalog a zFS.    I also had to add a ZFSADM
step to quiesce the zFS files prior to the FDRCOPY since "HFS=QUIESCE"
is not supported for the COPY TYPE=DSF (I hope innovation fixes this
eventually).   Of course the is an unquiesce step also after the copy.
DFSMSdss does the quiesce automatically for both HFS and zFS.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com