Hi,

I don't think it's SAPI, our spool dataset and report offload product
(SyzSpool) uses SAPI and the speed is far greater than what he seems to be
experiencing.  SAPI isn't used to actually get each record, only to get
access to the JES dataset name, the dynamic allocation is performed and
transfer is simple QSAM.

SDSF uses the same method.

I tried the test here at z/OS 1.9 on a JES DS with 280,000+ records in it
(10 times his number) and I was able to have SDSF put it into a sequential
dataset in less than a minute.  I don't have the exact time because I
expected it to be slower and went to get a can of diet Coke and it was done
before I got back.  Not very scientific, but I was thirsty.

I think that there must be something else going on there that is worth
investigating.

Brian