On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 23:42:38 +0000, Eric Bielefeld wrote:

>Steve,
>
>Apparently OVERLAY is not a Syncsort keyword.  I did a search of the whole
Syncsort reference manual, and it wasn't listed, although my book is about 6
years old.  I did allow for the RDW in my displacement, I think.

>Eric

Eric,
   I just looked up OVERLAY in my SyncSort for z/OS 1.3 manuals:

"The OVERLAY parameter has been added. OVERLAY enables reformatting of
selected portions of records."

Further:
"OVERLAY Parameter (Optional)
The OVERLAY parameter enables you to change particular columns and add
fields to the end of a record without rebuilding the entire record. When using
the OVERLAY parameter you only need to specify the columns you want to
change. The rest of the input record remains unchanged. See “OVERLAY
Parameter (Optional)” on page 2.162 for a complete description."

   Not sure what release of SyncSort you're using, but you might be able to
get the same results with a more complicated OUTREC statement. The
variable length nature of the records will be problematic. I'm not that
talented
with SyncSort or I'd try to work something up.

Good Luck,
     Dave K.