On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:57:31 -0500, Mark Jacobs <mark.jac...@custserv.com> wrote:

>Not exactly true. You can charge for LINUX, the question is will anyone
>pay for it.

True. But we do pay for it. Why? Not for Linux, per se, but for the support.
And the support only comes when you "buy" that vendor's Linux distro.

>There is nothing in the GPL license that prevents you from
>making your own distribution and charging $$$$ for it.

Ref: CentOS which is a free-as-in-beer clone of RHEL. However, there are
parts of RHEL which are not included because they are copyrighted by RedHat
and only licensed when you buy RHEL. Also, CentOS users cannot "tap into"
the RHEL update servers.

>You just have to
>supply the source code and not prevent anyone from doing whatever they
>want with it, including undercutting your price.

Again, for the parts which are GPL'ed. Not everything in a distro is GPL'ed.