<snip>
Subject: Re: z10 toleration maintenance

We have six zos 1.7 systems three on a z890 and three on a z9 we have
applied the toleration for the z10 on the z890 systens since we will be
replacing the z890 with the z10 all six
Systems are in a sysplex do we have to apply the z10 maintenance onto
the z9 zos 1.7 systems
</snip>

It is unlikely to be *NECESSARY* to apply the z10 maint to the z/OS 1.7
systems. IMO, it is highly desirable to do so!

One of the design points for a parallel sysplex was to allow for just
that situation, but what if some PHB decides to move the LPARs around?

One of the rules I have always followed in my multi-system career, is
that everything should be the same, except where required to be
different.

Another rule I have followed is to routinely apply device support and
toleration/fallback maintenance as it becomes available (even if I don't
plan to go to that release). When the new box (or OS) rolls in, there is
nothing to do except load and go!

HTH,