On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:32:49 -0600, Mark Zelden <mark.zel...@zurichna.com>
wrote:

>What does "hard money" mean.   Zero?

Correct. "Hard money" means a check made out to somebody. "Soft money" is
possible, but that basically means that __we__ do something to get the
report so our salary is paying for it.

>What kind of reporting?  Just SMF30 accounting type?    Did you look
>at the CBT?  There are samples there.  I've done some stuff in rexx
>(report on steps, return codes, abends etc.).  Although I'm not suggesting
>that since REXX can't deal with spanned records (I reproed them from
>VBS to VB for this - which was okay for the SMF 30s).   This was for a
>client so I can't share the code, but it was mostly for some ad-hoc stuff
>the team lead / mgr wanted, so I had some pre-canned "filter" code:

That's the main problem. It may be type 30. But it may be "who used this
dataset?" (we downloaded DAF for this from the CBT already). Or it may be
CICS performance (which transactions use the most CPU, most file calls,
etc). I think most of this latter can come out of Mainview for CICS.

The main problems are: (1) extreme vagueness as to what is wanted; (2) lack
to knowledge and experience with other possibilities for processing "ad hoc"
requests of SMF information.

Another thought is to convert the SMF data from its normal form to a
"printable" XML format which could then be downloaded to a PC (Windows or
Linux) and more easily processed there using "normal" PC tools.

I'm grasping at straws, I know. Thanks to all for not being too P.O.'ed at me.

--
John

--
John