Mike,

Such tools exist (I think McKinney Systems has one), but I don't think
you would want to use it in the manner you have described. Here's why:

*         CI/CA splits are not indicative of poor performance. If you
reorg such a file, the splits are likely to re-occur.

*         Total extents do not degrade performance on today's RAID
devices.

*         EXCPs are not recorded for many types of VSAM I/O, for
example, Media Manager and STARTIO.

*         Statistics kept in the VSAM catalog are stale and only updated
when the file is properly closed, perhaps never.

I would study up on VSAM performance (there are some good sessions at
SHARE) and re-assess your criteria. Then, be thankful you only have
hundreds of VSAM files. I know of customers who have over a million VSAM
files.

In general, VSAM performance problems are less related to the data sets
themselves and more related to the techniques used to access them,
buffers, LSR, etc.

Tom Harper

IMS Utilities Development Team

Neon Enterprise Software