CR+ and its VSAM Mgr component

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Ward, Mike S
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: VSAM files

Thanks for the tip(s).

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Tom Harper
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu

Mike,

Such tools exist (I think McKinney Systems has one), but I don't think
you would want to use it in the manner you have described. Here's why:

*         CI/CA splits are not indicative of poor performance. If you
reorg such a file, the splits are likely to re-occur.

*         Total extents do not degrade performance on today's RAID
devices.

*         EXCPs are not recorded for many types of VSAM I/O, for
example, Media Manager and STARTIO.

*         Statistics kept in the VSAM catalog are stale and only updated
when the file is properly closed, perhaps never.

I would study up on VSAM performance (there are some good sessions at
SHARE) and re-assess your criteria. Then, be thankful you only have
hundreds of VSAM files. I know of customers who have over a million VSAM
files.

In general, VSAM performance problems are less related to the data sets
themselves and more related to the techniques used to access them,
buffers, LSR, etc.