I may be missing something, but if you know at compile-time (when you can
set an environment variable) that you want the "output" to go to SYSOUT, why
are you using "files" (with OPEN, WRITE, etc) and not just doing a DISPLAY
statement?  Either that or call CEEMSG.

I think those are "more normal" ways in COBOL to send output to SYSOUT.