>I agree with everything you say, but I still think that limiting a
>datacenter's power capacity is anti business.
>When limits are set by government, or in this case the power company, business
>tends to look at relocating their business to somewhere where those limits
>don't exist, or the overall costs are lower.

That has always been an issue.
And, a solution.
But, I have a question for you.
What happens if the government/power company doesn't 'cap' power consumption,
the data centre uses 'too much' and the grid blows?
At least, this way, you can manage it without going belly-up.

>Thats interesting that capacity planners now also consider power consumption.

Now?
I've been doing it since I worked for the Ontario Government in 1984.
There, it was critical, due to the limits of UPS and DR.

But, it was an issue at the first site I worked at (1981).
Thier MG-Set couldn't keep the whole site up, if needed.

Lately, it's been more of:
Have enough power -- check.

But, it has been an issue since 1981, in my experience.
-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!