Getting back to the comment about the proliferation of ( usually wintel)
single application servers. In my experience, this occurred because
different business units liked having and controlling their own
server(s), and individually each little server was not very power hungry
anyway. Not like that great big  9672 (!!!).
All of a sudden we have no mainframe and 250+ wintel servers... ( and,
indeed!  no business unit beholding to any other).
Sounds a bit like all of the other centralised vs de-centralised
support/cost issues.

I remember when we went CMOS, then RAMAC and Magstar, our power
consumption went through the floor.  But now look at us !!! Our data
centre is hotter and greedier than it has ever been. (by far!) (and our
cpu utilisation is about 5% if it's lucky.).

VMWARE , I suspect, *might* reduce things to being only 10 times worse,
as distinct from the 20 times as bad we are now.

Philip Steele  ( die before I said I miss z/VM)

The information in this e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are
intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. The message and files may be protected by legal
professional privilege, or other legal rules. The confidentiality of and
privilege applying to this message and files is not waived if this message or
files has been sent to you by mistake. If the reader of this message or files
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, distribution or
copying of this message and files are strictly prohibited.  If you receive this
message or files in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or return
e-mail and delete all copies from your computer system. It is the recipient's
responsibility to check this message and files for viruses.
Thank you.