Tom Marchant wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:59:51 +0300, Binyamin Dissen wrote:
>> Do all products (HSM, FDR, etc.) use the string MIGRAT as the VOLSER?
>
> FDR does.  Actually, it's ABR.  ISTR that this behavior is optional, but I
> don't recall what is in the VOLSER if the option is not selected.  The
> original VOLSER perhaps.

Another point to note is that ABR sets the high-order bit on in the
DSCB CCHHR field of the catalog entry when the data set is archived
and the original volume serial is retained.

I do not know if this bit setting occurs or not when the volume serial
of MIGRAT is used.

I believe that the usual restriction of "VTOCs must be in the first 64K
cylinders of a volume" must therefore become "VTOCs must be in the
first 32K cylinders of a volume" when ABR (without MIGRAT at least)
is used to archive data sets.

I would guess that all volumes had less than one thousand cylinders
when this logic was devised.

Cheers,
Greg