A good question.   The answer probably lies in the legal
interpretation of the site "terms of use".   You could probably be
sued under the DMCA.....

A more interesting question to me is whether Google is violating IBM's
"terms of use" by "re-publishing" the documents in HTML:

"This site and all content in this site may not be copied, reproduced,
republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, distributed, or used for
the creation of derivative works without IBM's prior written consent,
except that IBM grants you non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited
permission to access and display the Web pages within this site,
solely on your computer and for your personal, non-commercial use of
this Web site."
"You may not mirror any of the content from this site on another Web
site or in any other media."
---

Apparently IBM wants Google to be able to read and index these PDFs
and draw users of its search engine to its site (without paying
Google), so that it can try to collect $995 / year for a subscription
to the content.

Quiz: what industry on the web charges users for access to its content
but also allows GoogleBot to index the content?