On Wednesday 20 May 2009, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> Doesn't IKJEFT01 require that it be invoked only from an
> APF authorized program, which might be an obstacle to the
> OP?

        Actually, I believe I spoke before thinking earlier. I think the
program would need to call IKJTSOEV and IKJEFTSR, and I don't think
they're restricted to authorized programs. But your suggestion of
calling BPXWDYN is much more sensible.

> If the OP intends to process the file in the COBOL program,
> might allocating it in Rexx shortcut the need to allocate
> it in the COBOL code?

        If all the Rexx program is used for is to check whether the file
exists, then they can eliminate it altogether by just calling BPXWDYN
directly from the COBOL program. But if there's more to it than that,
then yes, if the Rexx program call to BPXWDYN succeeded it might as
well leave the file allocated, and the COBOL program needn't do that.