Hi Folks,

Certainly don't want to start a mine-is-bigger-than-yours debate, but Could
any DB2 DBA help me (I hope) riddicule the following comment?

"Well, to put a bit of perspective on it.  DB2 is a crap database that is
pushed
by IBM.  Compared to Sybase and Oracle it's the equivalent of an old Skoda
held together with bits of filler and newspaper"

and, to add emphasis......(after I accused him of being brainwashed or
blinkered).........

"just been in the real world working with all platforms.  I've worked with DB2
and as an Oracle DBA (and I started off on Sybase) I know shinola and I know
shit"

This is from a collegue I work with. His skills are (I Think) mainly Unix and I
know he has never worked on a Z platform (maybe P?). The  reference to
Skoda may give him away. Skoda's are now pretty good cars, unlike 20 years
ago. Think his comment comes from some repressed 20 year old experience?

I'm a zOS SysProg currently trying to install our product into a USS area back
ended by DB2 with MQ providing the comms. I'm struggling with the Unix side
at the moment so have to ask for help on a few occasions.

Unfortunately, my DB2 skills are not sufficient to rebutt the above statements.
I'd love to hear from a DB2 DBA who could.

>From my point of view, I heartilly dislike the 'vi' command in unix (I always
>use
OEDIT if poss) but don't say it is rubbish as I don't have the knowledge of
using 'vi' for 30 years. I simply prefer ISPF which I HAVE used for 30 years.

Is this the same sort of thing - Is this guy so anti Mainframe, he actually
believes what he says?

Many thanks for any/all observations.

Cheers,

Rob