On 13 Jun 2009 12:43:43 -0700, wmkl...@ix.netcom.com (Bill Klein)
wrote:

>For COBOL only applications, for example, using SSRANGE (compile and
>run-time) often finds the cause of S0C4 ABENDs and does so in a manner that
>the application programmer can find the cause quickly and easily.   Of
>course, if this is NOT a COBOL application - or you can't recompile (if the
>program was originally compiled with NOSSR) then this particular aid won't
>help.

A lot of shops have policies that are the result of long gone
standards writers that say SSRANGE is inefficient.   Funny thing is
that some of those shops liked PL/I which didn't give us the option of
opting out of range checking.   Since it was an option, efficiency
didn't matter.

The costs have changed over the years, but the old standards still
exist.