From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Linda Mooney
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:36 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: ERASEDATA - DASD disposal

Greetings!

I am in the process of retiring 3 RAMAC 2 racks, each with a 3990 mod 6
controller, and 1 RAMAC 3 rack, with a 9293 controller.  All data has been
moved to new DASD.  The RAMAC DASD will be surplused so I have to be sure that
the data has been wiped clean and nothing is recoverable - w ithout physically
damaging the devices.  All of the DASD is 3390-3.

For the RAMAC2 data wipe  I have been using ICKDSF release 17.0

TRKFMT UNITADDRESS(B40) VERIFY(ZSDLZ6) ERASEDATA -
       CYLRANGE(0,5000) CYCLES(4)

That takes about 20 minutes per cycle.  Our maintenance vendor recommended 4
cycles.  That seems to be proceeding fine.

I am having a problem with the RAMAC 3.  I tried the same coding with the RAMAC
3 and it took about 5 hours to run (per address) as compared to roughly 1 hour
20 minutes on the RAMAC 2 .  All devices are 3390-3, each controller has 4
paths, low system activity generally with no other work on these strings, and
the long run time was consistent for several packs on the RAMAC 3.

Should I use some other ICKDSF command to wipe the RAMAC3?  Any t houghts on
why the run time would be so mu ch longer for the RAMAC3?     Do you consider
the 4 passes with TRKFMT enough to be sure that the  data is really gone?

TIA,

Linda Mooney

intended
information.