--- On Fri, 7/3/09, Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I can think of no case where it is
> accepted or supported for non-IBM code
> to issue an IBM-documented system abend code.
>
> And that certainly includes 222 which has many
> ramifications that go with
> its being a "cancel'.
>
> As we all know, the "official" S222 has no reason codes.
>
> Peter Relson
> z/OS Core Technology Design

Peter,

ALONG time ago and far far away (when MVS first came out) an applications type
figured out how to turn a u0222 into a s0222. The dump arrived on my desk it
was a hectic morning and I had dumps on my desk at least 4 feet deep (in those
days dumps were printed on paper). I had been shooting this rather nasty system
bug and it was wearing thin. Finally around 11:30 AM I got around to the dump
and IIRC it took me all of 1 minute to figure out it was a user abend. I was
really miffed at getting the dump I took the dump up to the VP of the
programming department and put it down on the secretaries desk with a note
saying it was a user problem and for the user to figure out what the problems
was.

The user came down incensed saying it was a system abend so it wasn't his
problem. I was about to throw him and the dump out of the front door but
stopped and said "OK follow me on this dump" and I showed him step by step
where it came from his program. I asked him to get the compile listing and went
over it with him. After about 5 minutes he turned white and said "OH, NOW I
REMEMBER". He tried to leave but I asked him to please follow me he resisted a
little so I took him up to his VP's office and asked to see the VP.

It was the end of the day and he was free so I got him to go in with me. I told
the VP that the programmer had something to tell him. The programmer was pale
with fright. He hemmed and hawed and finally got out the sentence it was his
fault and it was his code. The VP looked at me and I had a very annoyed look on
my face (I WAS ANNOYED) and the VP said well this won't happen again. I was
courteous and said thank you and walked out.

The programmer was asked to leave but I got very annoyed as he got a
consultants job at a large insurance company here in Chicago and a very nice
pay raise.

There is no justice in the world.

Ed