Before resolving to kiss your data good-bye, consider paying Time and
Materials to get a pro on site. Once your data is gone, the cost to recover
could be greater than biting the bullet on a service call.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
jo.skip.robin...@sce.com

             Linda Mooney
             <linda.lst...@com
             CAST.NET>                                                  To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <ibm-m...@bama.ua                                     Subject
             .edu>                     Re: Pinned data on 2107 aka DS8000

             07/06/2009 05:49
             PM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <ibm-m...@bama.ua
                   .edu>

Hi Mark,

If you have no accessibility from z/OS to your DASD (even offline works if
you have a system somewhere) and your res has pinned data in the
controller , I hope you have a back up of your res (and essentials) that
you can lay down somewhere you can get to.  If so, then to delete the
pinned data use the IDCAMS SETCAC HE DISCARDPINNED  command.  If issued to
an offline device you would need to use the unitnumber.   If you want to
try 'graceful' first, try using the DESTAGE command.

If it was mine, with a power hit, I would do a  thorough search for tripped
breakers at the equipment level .  Can't tell you the number of times I
have found a tripped internal breaker after a hard power hit.  If you find
any they can be reset. T he DASD subsytem may then need to be re-IMLed.
The controller will try to destage if/when the volume becomes available to
it.

You should  be able to find device type specific docs in your 2107
Operations and Recovery Guide.  I don't have any 2107, but   the docs
should be avail on the web, or perhaps someone on the list has a copy.  In
any case, since you can't call support, you're in a pickle.  The service
manual, which should be with controller - probably inside - should doc the
FE method - if you can get into the panel.

Best of Luck to you,

Linda Mooney