On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:13:10 -0500, Mark Zelden <m...@mzelden.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:49:04 -0600, Jerry Whitteridge
><jerry.whitteri...@safeway.com> wrote:
>
>>In service mode the /etc and /var directories are supposed to be true
>>directories so maintenance can be applied. When you clone them to become the
>>running versions there is a script to run to switch to a symlink. Look in the
>>doc for the Installation of the serverpac and at the server pac jobs.
>>

>I have never done this.   You're correct that if maintenance hit my service
>directory /etc or /var it would update the live /etc or /var on the
>system I ran the APPLY on due to the symlinks.  I didn't think that
>was an issue though (see #2 below).
>
>1) Other than the RESTORE job documentation that states it converts
>   /etc and /var to symlinks, I can't find another reference to changing
>   them back and forth for maintenance / cloning etc.    Can you point me
>   to where this is documented.
>
>2) I didn't think IBM ever serviced /etc or /var via maintenance.
>
>John Eells or Marna Walle (if you are lurking),  can you comment on #2?

I didn't find anything about this in ServerPac doc because nothing probably
exists.   However,
in the z/OS Unix System Services planning manual, in the section titled
"Establishing
an /etc file system for a new release", it specifically states the following:

"Because IBM products do not create files into /etc, there is no possibility
that SMP/E installation
 of an IBM product or service will overlay your own files within /etc."

(thanks to Shmuel for the pointer to that manual - I was looking in the MVS
Planning manual
and Severpac manuals)

It doesn't specifically mention this about /var, but I assume it is also true.

So going back to the OP,  I don't know when his symlinks were removed and I have
never run into that problem, and there should be no harm in keeping them
as symlinks in his maintenance / service root file that get's cloned.

mailto:m...@mzelden.com